What is an Apprenticeship?
An Apprenticeship or Advanced Apprenticeship is made up of 3 or 4 elements called a framework:
- NVQ Level 2 or level 3 (Advanced Apprenticeship)
- Functional Skills
- Technical Certificate (not required on all programmes)
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
What are the employer's responsibilities?
- Identify a mentor for the apprentice to support them in the workplace and liaise with Fareham College
- Allow the Apprentice to attend College as required
- Pay the Apprentice at least £2.65 per hour (19+ Apprentices must be paid minimum wage after 1 year)
- Provide a full induction including and uniform or protective equipment
- Hold a valid Employers Liability Certificate
- Allow the college to conduct a Health & Safety inspection
- Must sign a contract with the college and apprentice
How can an Apprentice help my business?
- Home grow fresh talent
- Enable staff to get a nationally recognised qualification
- Avoid future skills gaps
- Reduce costs
- Inspire current workforce
How do I recruit a new Apprentice?
- The College can assist with recruitment by offering students who have already completed some study in the subject area
- We can advertise vacancies on the national Vacancy Matching Service free of charge
- We can assist in recruitment and can explain to students how Apprenticeships work
- 16-18 year old Apprentices are fully funded by the government
- 19 Year olds plus may require an employer contribution
Apprenticeships Available at Fareham College
- Beauty Therapy
- Business Administration
- Customer Service
- Teaching Assistant
- Health & Social Care
- Theatre Technician
- Engineering - Marine
- Engineering- Mechanical
- Engineering- Electrical
- Engineering- Aerospace
- Motor Vehicle
- Motor Cycle
- Gas Installation
- Electrical Installation
- Painting & Decorating
- Carpentry & Joinery
To search for an apprencticeship, you can log on to the apprenticeship vacancies web site.
For more details please contact our Employment Services Manager, Claire Middleton.
or call her on 01329 815 241.