Whether you are interested in a career in coaching or sports therapy, personal training or performance analysis our courses will help you to fulfil your ambition to be part of this exciting, ever-growing industry.
Our Sport Courses provide all learners with the opportunity to embrace the diverse world of sport, exercise, health and fitness. In the pursuit of excellence, learners experience an innovative and stimulating study programme supported by work experience and volunteering opportunities in specific areas of interest. Our courses will provide you with the skills, qualities and expertise to excel in whatever sports career you choose.
Your Future is Bright
A career in sport is not just about becoming a professional sportsperson. It can lead exciting careers such as fitness instructing and personal training to managing leisure facilities
Sport students will benefit from learning in our fully operational commercial Gym 141, state of the art fitness assessment and therapy room and refurbished sports hall as well as from our close links with local sports team such as AFC Portchester and the University of Portsmouth.
Our courses will prepare students for a terrific career in the industry. Graduates go on to perform a number of industry-related areas/roles including:
- Leisure facility assistant / manager
- Sports development officer
- Sports Psychologist
- Fitness Instructor / Personal Trainer
- Professional or semi-professional sportsperson
- Sports Coach
- PE teacher
- Sports Therapist
- Sports massage therapist
- Performance Analyst
- Dietician / nutritionist
- Sport and exercise science researcher
A career in a sports-related field can yield a decent income and work benefits. Here are some industry average salaries for popular job roles:
- Fitness Instructors: £20 – 25 per hour
- Sports Therapist / Massage Therapist: £20 – £50 per hour
- Sports Coaches: £15,000 – £25,000 per year
- Senior Sports Coaches: £30,000 – £35,000 per year
- Sports Development Officer: £25,000 – £30,000 per year
- PE Teacher: £22,000 – £40,000 per year
Sport students will be charged a course fee of £100 that will include branded sports kit, additional qualification registration fees, transport and trips and visits throughout the year.
Sport and Public Services students are encouraged to participate in:
- additional coaching or officiating opportunities
- competitive team sports and enrichment
- additional short courses and qualifications to boost your employability
- sports leadership and outdoor activities, trips and visits
A range of trips and visits will be available for you to you on your programme. These include:
- University visits
- Professional sports clubs training centres
- Water Sports residential (Spain)*
- New Forrest Aqua Park*
- Oxygen Free Jumping*
The college has recently partnered with AFC Portchester to form AFC Portchester Football Academy. Those selected will obtain 3 hours of training a week, coached by FA and UEFA coaches. You will also be given an individualised training programme to develop your strength and conditioning. Matches and training will take place at AFC Portchester Stadium where you will compete against other colleges and academies on Wednesday afternoons. Those who excel will be given the opportunity to play for AFC Portchester in prestigious competitions such as the FA Youth Cup.
With AFC Portchester being recognised as one of the biggest youth development clubs in Hampshire, with a proven track record of developing and nurturing young players to professional football clubs, you will be given the opportunity to showcase your ability under the watchful eye of AFC Portchester coaching staff. Last year saw one of our academy players (16 years old) sign and play for AFC Portchester Men’s team where they are hoping he can follow in the footsteps of former academy youngsters Andy Rinomhota and James Cowan-Hall in realising their dreams and signing professional contracts with Reading FC and Oxford United.
Those who excel and impress all coaching staff may be forwarded onto professional clubs for a trial week to fulfil their ambitions.
Selected Academy players will receive a year’s free gym membership at GYM 141, have access to AFC Portchester’s physiotherapist and receive free academy kit.
Example training schedule:
- 1 hour 30 minutes training at AFC Portchester – Developing Technical and Tactical skills
- 1-hour session in state of the art sports hall at Fareham College – Technique and SAQ
- Football matches at AFC Portchester Stadium – Wednesday 2pm
- 45-minute gym session in high performance GYM 141
For those who are not part of the football academy, you will have the opportunity to participate in an extensive list of enrichment activities throughout the week. This will include fun sporting sessions, participating in traditional and new sports. You may be asked to lead sessions to improve your leadership skills and to assist you completing additional qualifications.
Other sport teams
- Hockey *
*dependant on student interest
“If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.”