Five GCSEs at grade 9-3 including English and Maths, or a full Level 1 Beauty qualification with a ‘stepping stone’ English and Maths qualification.
This course will teach you the basic skills required for hair and media by attending and participating in practical workshop sessions in our training salons, working on peers, mannequin heads and family and friends. You will also attend theory lessons and complete assignments for each unit.
Your study programme will cover the following units:
- Creating an image based on a theme
- Working in the hair industry
- Following health and safety practice in the salon
- Client and customer skills
- Creating and maintaining a retail display area in the salon
- Promoting yourself and preparing for a job interview
- Promoting and selling products and services to clients
- Basic face painting
- Basic skin care
- Basic photographic make-up
- Blow drying and finishing hair
- Shampooing and treating hair
- Basic plaiting and twisting techniques
This is a demanding course and home study will be essential.
Once you have completed this first year you will be able to progress onto the full time Level 2 Technical Diploma in Hair and Make-up Artistry or Beauty Therapy course. It is essential that you progress in order to develop a full career in your chosen profession.