This course provides you with the opportunity to study various aspects of the diverse and ever-changing industry of sport and physical activity. There is an emphasis on learners initially gaining a sound understanding of core subjects within the field of sport and exercise science and then to focus your studies on particular areas of specialism for careers such as fitness instructing, sports coaching or sports therapy in your second year.
The course is a stimulating combination of practical and theoretical work. During your course, you will study a number of specific units including:
- Principles of anatomy and physiology
- Planning a career in sport and physical activity
- Fitness testing for sport and exercise
- Fitness training and programming
- Sports nutrition
- Psychology for sports performance
- Practical team sports and individual sports
- Sports injuries
- Work experience in a sport-related setting.
Learners will also undertake optional study units and additional professional qualifications (dependent on career aspirations) as well as industry-related work experience. You will also be encouraged to take part in a range of volunteering opportunities and enrichment activities.
Availability & Enrolment:
Will I have to pay fees?
School Leavers under the age of 19 do not have to pay fees on any full time courses, though may have to pay for their second year if turning 19 during their studies.
If you’re aged 19 or over you might qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan. It’s easy to apply for and you won’t have to pay anything back until you’re earning over £27,295. Find more information on Advanced Learner Loans on our website.
If you are studying a part-time course and you receive one of the following benefits, or you depend financially on someone who does, you may be entitled to have your tuition fees waived:
- Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income Support
You will, however, have to pay any awarding body/assessment fees (unless you are on a first full level 2 course).
* If you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit or receive other allowances, you may be eligible to claim concessionary rates. If you are entitled to a fee concession you will be asked to provide proof of your entitlement.
It is essential that you inform us if your entitlement changes at any time during your course.
For any questions about fees, remissions and entitlements, please contact our helpful Enrolments Team on 01329 815 200.