At Fareham College, everything we do is focussed on employability, both in terms of preparing our full time and part time students to be as employable as possible in their chosen career, and in ensuring the employers we work with have people in place with the right skills to successfully achieve their strategic and operational goals.
One of the best ways to help our young learners prepare for the world of work, and be as beneficial as possible to their future employers, is to ensure they have the opportunity to undertake meaningful, realistic work experience.
Work experience is a compulsory element of all our courses for students aged 16-19; its importance is being further highlighted with the introduced of new T level qualifications, where an industry placement forms between 45-60 days of the two-year course.
This level of work experience means students will develop the workplace skills that employers are looking for, and also gain a clear idea about what the job they want to do will involve.
Taking on a work experience student offers many benefits for employers:
- Young people can offer a whole new energy, enthusiasm and perspective
- Work experience can boost the morale of existing staff, giving them the opportunity to step up to temporary supervisory and mentoring roles
- Offering work experience is a way of getting extra resource for a period of time, and doesn’t cost you financially
- Work experience is good branding for your company, showing positive CSR and support of the younger generation
- Employers who offer work experience benefit from the knowledge of youth – very useful for areas such as IT and marketing!
- It’s a great recruitment strategy, especially if you are looking to attract a younger workforce to your company; an excellent work experience student could turn into a valuable future employee
- Offering work experience benefits your whole industry and promotes it as one that offers good career opportunities – essential for future sustainability
By providing young people with work experience and becoming involved with careers guidance, employers can spell out the value of the skills and knowledge developed at college, and open pupils’ eyes to a world of career opportunities.
If you are interested in taking on a work experience student, please contact Business Plus on 01329 815 153 or email email@example.com