The Level 2 Diploma in Maritime Defence (Foundation Knowledge) is for learners who are interested in developing the specific knowledge and understanding for people who want to work in the defence or commercial shipping sector.
Learners will develop the variety of skills through visits, classroom learning and practical sessions. Learners will be encouraged to grow fully as individuals and develop excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
It is a technical knowledge qualification which will be undertaken in the foundation phase.
Learners interested in the in program will study the following compulsory units:
- Working in a marine engineering environment
- General engineering principles
- General engineering mathematics and science principles.
Learners will also be guided through additional optional topics, including:
- Principles of electrical maintenance
- Principles of electrical and electronic technology
- Electrical inspection and testing.
Upon completion of this qualification learners will have developed most of the basic skills and knowledge required during their foundation phase of the Apprenticeship and will enable them to progress into further training.
Availability & Enrolment:
School Leavers under the age of 19 do not have to pay fees on any full time courses, though may have to pay for their second year if turning 19 during their studies.
If you’re aged 19 or over you might qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan. It’s easy to apply for and you won’t have to pay anything back until you’re earning over £27,295. Find more information on Advanced Learner Loans on our website.
If you are studying a part-time course and you receive one of the following benefits, or you depend financially on someone who does, you may be entitled to have your tuition fees waived:
- Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income Support
You will, however, have to pay any awarding body/assessment fees (unless you are on a first full level 2 course).
* If you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit or receive other allowances, you may be eligible to claim concessionary rates. If you are entitled to a fee concession you will be asked to provide proof of your entitlement.
It is essential that you inform us if your entitlement changes at any time during your course.
For any questions about fees, remissions and entitlements, please contact our helpful Enrolments Team on 01329 815 200.