The government’s response to Coronavirus has been updated.
Key points to note:
- There was no recommendation to ask schools or colleges to close;
- Anyone with a “new, continuous” cough and fever is advised to self-isolate for seven days;
- Testing will only focus on identifying people with the virus in hospital;
- Schools are being advised to cancel trips abroad;
- People over 70 and those with pre-existing health conditions being told not to go on cruises;
- There was no recommendation to cancel large gatherings or sporting events.
Our current position is:
- We have no confirmed cases of staff or students with Coronavirus;
- We have cancelled the two overseas trips that were planned. This action was already taken ahead of the new advice; students / parents will receive full refunds.
- We recommend staff and students follow the advice given around self-isolating if they present with a “new, continuous cough” and a fever. Please follow usual absence reporting procedures but indicate clearly if your absence is related to this particular issue.
- We have seen some events being cancelled locally. We will adjust the Parents’ Evening to be carried out by telephone rather than face-to-face (details to follow). We will make a decision on the Open Evening, Engineering Project Showcase and the Annual Awards closer to the time. If you have any questions over other events in Departments, please refer to your Faculty Director.
- Student trips and visits are under continuous review. The decision to go ahead is based on numbers involved, the protocol of the place they are visiting and the location being visited. We are recommending no future, as yet unplanned, trips or visits are arranged until further notice. Please refer to your Faculty Director for further information.
- Work placements will go ahead unless the employer has placed restrictions on attendance. We will follow employer protocols on placements. This policy is under continuous review.
- We will continue to review the benefits and practicalities of homeworking for some staff on a case by case basis.
- Teachers are being asked to keep materials up to date on the Virtual Learning Environments we use and being asked to ensure work files can be accessed via OneDrive.
- Please maintain and encourage good hygiene.
- We have undertaken a more thorough clean of the campus overnight.
- Please watch out for symptoms among your friends and colleagues.
We continue to follow DfE guidance at all times and are monitoring the situation carefully. We are taking pragmatic, precautionary actions to prevent spread of Coronavirus.
As this is likely to be a prolonged issue, we need to establish a “new normal” which places welfare and well-being top of the agenda whilst continuing to deliver excellence in teaching and learning.