The transition year is a one year preparation course to prepare you to study one of the government’s new T Level courses. The course involves five components delivered over the academic year and is designed to prepare and develop you for one of the T Level courses in Education & Childcare.

There will be a guidance and assessment period where you will be provided with some clear career guidance and complete assessments to ensure a T Level programme in Education & Childcare is the best option for you for the future.

You will have the opportunity to complete a Level 2 qualification in Maths and develop your digital and English skills throughout the course.

You will be taught introductory skills and concepts to prepare you to study T Level material in the future. In some cases this may involve undertaking a relevant Level 2 qualification.

You will develop the employability skills, attitudes, confidence and behaviours to ensure you are ready for the T Level. There will be a practical industrial placement so you will also require a clear Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS).

You will be taught study skills and reflective skills to ensure you can develop further and overcome barriers that may affect your education in the future.

Study Type:

Course Area:

Availability & Enrolment:

School Leavers under the age of 19 do not have to pay fees on any full time courses, though may have to pay for their second year if turning 19 during their studies.

If you’re aged 19 or over you might qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan. It’s easy to apply for and you won’t have to pay anything back until you’re earning over £25,000. Find more information on Advanced Learner Loans on our website.

If you are studying a part-time course and you receive one of the following benefits, or you depend financially on someone who does, you may be entitled to have your tuition fees waived:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support

You will, however, have to pay any awarding body/assessment fees (unless you are on a first full level 2 course).

* If you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit or receive other allowances, you may be eligible to claim concessionary rates. If you are entitled to a fee concession you will be asked to provide proof of your entitlement.

It is essential that you inform us if your entitlement changes at any time during your course.

For any questions about fees, remissions and entitlements, please contact our helpful Careers Team on 01329 815 200.